Minimising the Carbon Footprint
Quinola is committed to minimising its ecological footprint, giving you products that respect the environment and reduce our impact on the planet.
The ecological footprint indicates human impact on natural resources and the environment. Did you know that currently,it takes the Earth one and a half years to replenish what we consume in one single year? This means that our natural resources are being consumed faster than they are being regenerated. If the entire world population consumed resources at a rate similar to that of first world countries, we would need 2 to 3 planets like ours to meet the demand.
A Gentle Form of Agricultural Production
- Our quinoa is traditionally sourced and no tractors are used in it’s cultivation.
- Quinoa is shipped to our shores from the Peruvian Altiplano but despite the long distance, quinoa has a much lower environmental impact than many other crops grown in Europe. The carbon footprint of any large ship is less than one tenth that of a truck (based on carbon emissions per kilometre and per ton), and less than one hundredth that of air transport.
Low Impact Packaging
- We have chosen our packaging carefully, our products are presented in doypacks.
- Thin, bisphenol A-free plastic packages that preserve food perfectly.
- Their production requires less material than any other form of
- Doypacks are extremely light (60-70% lighter than cans) making them easy to transport. They are absolutely flat when empty and perfectly stackable when full resulting in greatly reduced fuel consumption during transport.
- Empty doypacks occupy very little space, which helps to reduce household waste and the ecological impact of its transport and destruction. The special formulation of doypack plastic prevents the release of toxic smoke into the atmosphere during incineration.
- The cost of the raw materials and oil-derived products necessary to produce doypacks is lower than that of plastic trays or glass jars.
Plant Proteins are as Beneficial to You as to the Planet
- Plant proteins present in quinoa, significantly reduce your own ecological footprint. Quinoa is an excellent alternative source of protein that can replace the consumption of meat or fish, both with a high ecological impact.
- Did you know that livestock are responsible for 18% of the greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming, which is even higher than that of cars, planes and all other forms of transport combined? (Food & Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations, 2006). The meat industry is a major carbon emitter. The only way to reduce its ecological footprint is to reduce meat consumption.
- The meat industry is also water-intensive, which will become even scarcer in the coming decades.
- Battery-reared animals are mostly fed GMO grain, contributing to the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest.
- Eating welcome alternatives to meat helps to keep our health and environment safe!